Hello World.

So this would be.. well actually my second (or is it the third? probably the fourth..) attemp to write a blog in regards to multitude aspects of my phd. After attending a workshop on 'Writing intensive for Advanced (Research) Paper' course last 12th of February I was determined to freewrite each and everyday. Well... It's not as easy as it seems. There's always something coming up which will push this freewriting exercise at the bottom of today's to-do list. Another thing is probably because I can be quite a perfectionist when it comes to writing and always ended up wasting too much time editing whatever I've written. So it makes writing a blog's a chore! This time around, I will try to just freewrite, pure and simple. (though there will of course be the occasional 'delete'-ing and 'backspace'-ing but I try to refrain from overdoing it!

I'm going to also try to do this (nearly) everyday. Because:

  1. I promised my colleagues before I came here to do so... mainly to inform them of how's life living here in NZ (should they decide to come in the future), and what doing a PhD is like.



  2. I told my supervisor and research group that I'd freewrite everyday.. but it should be reflecting the liteature I've read, not simply everyday life stories :P but this is a good start, I think :)



  3. My dearest good friend kak nurul has started the exercise herself in her own blog, and I promise her to do the same too.

These three reasons seem to only be promises to other people... but for my own self, I knew doing this would help make me write more fluently (is there such thing as fluently writing? There must be a better word for it, but I just couldn't be bothered to look it up or recall right now! Kindly comment if you do, though)

So now it is already noon. Yesterday, a close friend of mine who has submitted her thesis at Birkbeck (University of London) and is now waiting for her viva this coming april, had had a chat with me on YM. Being her typical resourceful and generous self, she had shared a link to a good book on understanding taxonomy and typology. I was trying to find whether it's availbale on University of Auckland's library or the city library. Apparently not. There's one on sale online at the nile for $32.99 and I was contemplating on purchasing it. So far there's already so many books on my table from the library and it is collecting dust :P (much like the exercise machine back at home..haha). I know this book would be useful but I think I need to thoroughly check whether there's anyway I can access it for free before rushing off to buy one, considering our not so luxurious financial status right now. (My husband must be so proud of shopaholic me!)

Ok.. I have been writing for more than 15 minutes now. I need to get back to work. Oh, it's lunch time (did I mention I'm now back on diet? :P). My dear good friend Massila is not around so I may need to have lunch on my own. That may help in me eating lesser (?). I do have class at 2pm anyways so might as well have a quick one.




----




Note: I ended up purchasing the book online via book depository after a recommendation from the very same friend who introduced the book to me. Though it was in GBP, it was still RM20 cheaper compared to purchasing from NZ's the nile, plus they ship worldwide for free :)

No comments:

Post a Comment